Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Boggart

Susan Cooper
Margaret K. McElderry Books, 1993

When Jessup and Maggie get a telegram saying their dad has inherited an ancient castle in Scotland they think they're going to be rich. Excitement dampens when they learn the old ancestral home is a crumbling wreck. There's no money to fix it up, and they can't move to Scotland, and so it seems the only option is to sell the property.

Sad to part with their tarnished treasure, the family decides to have some of the furniture shipped to their home in Toronto, just so they can have something of their inheritance to keep. But once the furniture arrives, things began to happen - strange things. Mysterious things. Dangerous things. Perhaps the old castle wasn't empty after all.

This imaginative tale shows off Susan Cooper's greatest gifts - her ability to blend folklore magic with real life, her strong sense of family relationships, her heartfelt characters, and her keen storytelling. Recommended for ages 10 and up.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet...I've never even heard it!

    I must say that after Angie Sage's Magyk included a boggart, well, I started finding the book horrendously boring. It felt old, like a rehash of other work. Maybe it was just the Irish-ness of the book...I tend not to like Irish books--the gift of the gab works on some, but not on me!

    Anyway, this one sounds fresh. I'll have to keep my eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good one for me to pick up. I am a new author and I have a book that was just published this month. I want to bring it to your attention. I think you will find it of interest. Please visit this website:

    http://www.eloquentbooks.com/TheRingOfKnowledge.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the next book better: the Boggart and the Monster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a loveely blog post

    ReplyDelete